What is needed to get a business license?

The following list includes items/documents that may be required by Business License before a business license can be issued. Bold items indicate that special conditions are required or the activity is prohibited when working out of the home.

  • File for a fictitious business name or Doing Business As (DBA). If your last name is in the name of your business, filing a DBA is not required. Fictitious names have to be filed with a newspaper in Los Angeles County. Local newspapers are:
    • Acton-Agua Dulce News - Download the Form
      Phone: 661-269-1169
    • Antelope Valley Journal
      Phone: 661-947-5009
    • Antelope Valley Press
      Phone: 661-273-2700
  • Retail sales require a resale number (seller's permit) obtained through the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration, which can be reached at 800-400-7115. The resale number must display the business address. 
  • If you have any employees, you will need to contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and State of California EDD Departments to file the necessary forms for federal and state employer numbers.
  • The Secretary of State processes corporate and non-profit organization filings. For more information, call 916-657-5448.
  • Businesses that sell food products or the use or maintenance of hazardous waste materials require a Los Angeles County Health permit.
    • Biohazard
      Phone: 213-744-5101
    • Catering or Mobile Food
      Phone: 626-430-5500
    • Food
      Phone: 661-723-4533 
  • If you plan to sell alcohol beverages, you must notify the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control at 818-901-5017 and contact the Planning Division for information on the City of Palmdale's Alcohol Ordinance at 661-267-5200.
  • The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms can be reached at 213-894-4815 and must be notified if tobacco or firearms are part of the business.
  • For a Home Occupation Permit or a Zoning Clearance - Occupancy Review Form, contact Planning at 661-267-5200.
  • For a Business License, contact 661-267-5434.

Show All Answers

1. What is needed to get a business license?
2. How do I establish a business in Palmdale?
3. Can I establish a business in my home?
4. What is required for a business license in a commercial or industrial building?
5. Do I need a business license?
6. I am renting my home. Do I need a business license?
7. How do I get a Seller's Permit?
8. How do I get a Fictitious Name Filing (Doing Business As)?
9. Can I transfer my business license to a new owner?
10. What is a Home Occupation Permit and who is required to have one?