Walk on Words Sidewalk Poetry Contest
Craft your poem around the theme #PalmdaleCares, and enter it for a chance to see it stamped in concrete!
- The contest is free and open April 1 through April 30, 2021 to all ages
- Poems must be family-friendly
- Poems must be no more than 8 lines long, including title, with a maximum of 25 characters per line, including spaces
- Poems must be original compositions written by the submitting poet
- Poems must be submitted online using this page
- Poems must relate to the contest’s theme, #PalmdaleCares
- The winning poem will be unveiled at a public ceremony, date and location to be announced.
- The Walk on Words Poetry Contest is open to all ages, no previous experience or publication necessary. Poems must be no more than 8 lines long (including title, if applicable) with a maximum of 25 characters including spaces per line. Poems must incorporate the theme #PalmdaleCares. The poem must be the original work of the entrant. All submissions become the property of the City of Palmdale and may be published in print and/or on the City’s website. All entries must be submitted electronically via this page. Entrants must complete the entry form in its entirety to qualify. City of Palmdale employees and their immediate family members are not eligible.
- Contest Dates: April 1 through April 30, 2021.
- Poems will be judged on originality, creativity, and artistic quality. Poems containing profanity, vulgarity or offensive material, and/or poems that do not meet the requirements for line limitation and theme, will be disqualified.
- The winner will be selected from all qualified entries, and the winning poem will be stamped in concrete.
- All decisions made by the judges are final.
- The author retains all copyrights to the submitted poem. By entering the contest, entrant consents to the publication of his/her poem in any medium employed by the City.
- Winner will be notified by phone or email, and will be announced publicly at a ceremony, date and time to be determined. Names of the winner(s) and their respective poems may appear on the City’s website.
- The City collects personal information for the purpose of notifying contest winners only. All information submitted is confidential, used solely for notification purposes and will not be made public. The City does not lease, sell, or share personal information.
- Children age 12 and under must have parental permission to enter the contest.
- No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited.