Planning an Outdoor Event
Thank you for considering the City of Palmdale for your upcoming special event. Our special event application process provides information, rules and regulations important to planning your next event. Events play an integral role in building community and creating vibrancy in Palmdale. It can often be confusing as to whether you a need special event contract or a facility use permit, please see more information below.
Please read the information carefully as it is updated periodically and may be different from information you may have received in the past.
A large event is defined as an event that:
- Has any noise exceeding the City's noise ordinance
- Uses any street, sidewalk, or other right-of-way
- Needs police or fire regulations, monitoring, and / or control
- Occurs for more than one day
- Generates a crowd of spectators sufficient in size to obstruct, delay, or interfere with the normal flow of pedestrian, vehicle traffic, or City facilities
- Has a greater impact on the park and neighboring community than casual or intended park use
- Has parking needs that will exceed the capacity of the venue
- Requires external infrastructure to support the event such as:
- Portable toilets
A festival is further defined as a special event whose primary purpose is to present multifaceted arts, cultural, or recreation-based experiences. In addition, the event set up and take down normally happen on days other than the actual event day. Festivals typically include elements such as:
- Activity demonstrations
- Festival merchandise sales
- Food and beverage sales and service
- Hands-on activities
- Theatrical performances
- Visual arts exhibitions
Fundraising Walks & Runs
Fundraising walks and runs are special events whose primary focus is to raise awareness and / or funds for specific social or health issues. They typically desire to maximize the number of participants.
A small event is primarily defined as a private event such as a company picnic or birthday party, is not open to the public, and does not meet the criteria of a large. Some examples of a small event are:
- Room rentals
- Pool rentals
- Picnic pavilions
- Sport field rentals
Special event staff is available to assist you in determining which process is the right one for your event. Email special event staff or call 661-267-5611 for more information.